Victor Vasarely’s Early Drawings and Graphic Designs in the Collection
14 February 2014 - 15 May 2014
Victor Vasarely’s early drawings and graphic designs in the Collection of the Museum of Fine Arts – Vasarely Museum It was towards the end of the 1950s that Victor Vasarely decided to take a stand against the political prejudices of the times, convince the Hungarian devotees of socialist realism, and organize an exhibition in Hungary that would represent the progressivism of the new geometric abstract art of the period. He also planned to present what brought him world-fame, his kinetic and op art works, and to make a gift of the exhibits to the Hungarian state. Twenty years later (after 1970, when the Musée didactique Vasarely had opened in the castle of Gordes; 1976, when Vasarely created his Foundation in Aixen- Provence and he proposed to establish the Vasarely Museum in Pécs), on 23 September, 1981, Victor Vasarely signed the first, French-language letter of donation about an ‘inalienable’ gift to the capital of Hungary, to be used at the Vasarely Centre that was to be set up in Budapest. The donated works arrived at the Museum of Fine Arts in December 1982. In 1986 Vasarely confirmed the donation to the Vasarely Museum at the Zichy Palace. The museum was opened on 8 May, 1987. The current exhibit is one of those very rare occasions when these fragile, paper-based earliest drawings and graphic designs from the ‘Graphic’ and the ‘Wrong Roads’ periods 1926–1946, are on view, which constitute one fourth of his donation.